Please think before you send bugs to Debian

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Thu Feb 7 03:34:39 GMT 2008

Recently I was informed by a DD that I often work with about an odd bug that
one of my fellow MOTUs had filed.  Apparently this person had thought it
would be good to suggest the Debian Maintainer incorporate the Ubuntu
specific changes in his package.

While this is generally good, in this case the change was to remove the
iceweasel symlinks from the package.

This would, of course, have made the package quite broken in Debian.

Please think before you send bugs to Debian.  It's great for inter-distro
relations when we can send them good fixes that make life easier for Debian.
Stuff like this doesn't help and all and reinforces negative stereotypes that
are all to common in Debian.

Scott K

P.S. Imagine how much fun we're going to have with this kind of thing once
Launchpad implements one click bug forwarding to Debian.