Trying to deploy a grails application in Ubuntu/Debian tomcat 5.5

Stephan Hermann sh at sourcecode.de
Thu Aug 21 07:12:31 BST 2008

Good Morning Henning,

good to see you here on the list :)

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 06:38:00PM +0200, Henning Sprang wrote:
> Hi,
> The motu team is named as the maintainer of the tomcat5.5 package, so
> I hope I'm right here for this question(and I'm positing it here
> first, before going to the Debian packager):
>
> I'm trying to deploy a Grails application in the
> tomcat5.5 server included in Ubuntu Linux 8.04.
>
> If I got it right, web applications are to be deployed to
> /var/lib/tomcat5.5/webapps.
> When doing so, the application doesn't start, and the log puts the error
> below.
>
> It seems to be a problem of very restrictive security settings, while
> reading afile that doesn't even exists in my application (and isn't
> needed when I run it in a tomcat 6 binary fropm upstream) - so, what do
> I need to do to get my webapp running in tomcat?

I saw this behaviour some time ago, too.

First, check your security settings. When you use the sun jdk you have
the security manager in place, which you can find somewhere under
/etc/tomcat5.5/policy.d/

You can try to adjust the settings in 03catalina.policy or much better
the debian way ;) in 05user.policy.

After you restart tomcat, those files are being re-assembled
automatically.

The case in the past on our servers was a problem with the app itself,
doing something strange...

I'll have to review the installation of this server, to get remind my
mind what I did to solve this issue.

Regards,
\sh
--
Stephan '\sh' Hermann		| OSS Developer & Systemadministrator
JID: sh at linux-server.org	| http://www.sourcecode.de/