Considering component-specific work when reviewing applications

Michael Bienia michael at vorlon.ping.de
Tue Aug 19 20:56:27 BST 2008

On 2008-08-19 20:51:20 +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> I'm not really sure that I understand the actual difference here.

I try to make more clear what I meant. In some way it's the same
(membership in the MOTU team == upload rights to universe), but
depending on how one looks at MOTUship one can emphasize one side
or the other side a little more.

> We
> generally have some certain expectations from propective Ubuntu
> Developers (in no particular order, and certainly not exhaustive):
>
>  . they are technically skilled to maintain packages
>  . they are experienced enough to review and sponsor patches from other
>     prospective contributors
>  . they are recognized in the existing MOTU community
>  . they are familiar with ubuntu development policies and procedures
>  . they agree to the ubuntu philophy (think code of conduct, etc.)
>
> In some ways granting membership to a contributor that fulfills the
> expectations I outlined above is a reward, true. AFAIUI, we currently
> grant membership if the motu-council (and previously the technical
> board) is convinced that an applicant fulfills the expectations.

So given an applicant who meets our expecations:
Are we granting membership because the applicant meets the expectations
(and the upload rights are a "bonus"), or are we granting upload rights
to ease them contributing (and the membership is just technical detail)?

Or to put it an other way: what makes a person a "MOTU"?
- is it the membership in the ~motu team (and it's a coincidence that
  the team has upload rights)
- or is it the upload rights to universe/multiverse (which are granted
  by being a member of ~motu)

Perhaps I see a difference where no exists, but it depends on how one
defines "being a MOTU". And I currently don't know which view is correct
(if there is a correct view), perhaps it's like the "wave–particle
duality" of a photon.

Regards
Michael