pbuilder twice in a row option

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Fri Aug 8 21:15:03 BST 2008

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> I asked for the feature to make it easier to see if a package supports one of
> Debian Lenny's release goals:
>
> http://release.debian.org/lenny/goals.txt
>
> # double compilation support
>   Advocate: Martin Zobel-Helas and Luk Claes
>    row.
>   Bug-User: debian-qa at lists.debian.org
>   Bug-Tag: qa-doublebuild
>   Bug-Url:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-qa@lists.debian.org&tag=qa-doublebuild
>   State: confirmed

It seems to me that this requirement is an error as it requests a
specific solution to the problem rather than requesting a solution to
the real problem.  It appears that the real goal is to have the ability
to automatically check that a package properly cleans itself so that it
does not cause various problems, just one if which is failure to build
twice.  This request seems to be trying to treat the symptom instead of
the disease.

If you verify that the clean rule restores the build directory to the
exact state it was in before building, then the package will build
cleanly a second time.