libsyck0-dev

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 8 20:34:13 BST 2008

Hi Thomas and Alex,

Thomas, Alex asked the following on the ubuntu-motu list[1], so I thought it
would be best to forward it to you:

On Monday 04 August 2008 23:19:53 Alex Norman wrote:
> Hi, I'm developing some code with libsyck but I'm using C++, one issue with
> the way that the package is built is that one cannot throw a c++ exception
> in the syck error handlers and recover in the c++ code.
>
> Basically what happens is that if you throw an exception in the error
> handler (which is called by C code) you cannot catch it in a c++ try{}
> block, and so your application will terminate.
>
> If libsyck is built with -fexceptions then this problem is solved [and it
> only adds 5k to the size of the binary].
>
> I'm wondering if it might be a good idea to build the package with this
> option?
>
> -Alex

Alex, Thomas is the debian maintainer for syck, which is synced w.o.
modification to ubuntu as of right now. As I don't have experience with the
syck library, I think the sanest choice for Ubuntu is to follow debian
packaging in this regard.

Cheers,
   Stefan.

[1]: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2008-August/004360.html