Non-English characters in debian/control

Emmet Hikory persia at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 6 15:14:38 BST 2008

Jad/Hakam madi wrote:
> Can we use non-english characters in URLs, description or name in
> debian/control ?

    Yes, with the following restrictions: the URL must actually work
(so non-ASCII characters must be part of the registered URL), the
package name must be ASCII (and lowercase), and the description must
be the English description (although it may reference some other
characters if required).  Note that if you do use non-ASCII in
debian/control, it is vastly preferable to use UTF8, and except for
Maintainer names, ought generally be avoided except where absolutely
required.

    For Debian, the DDTP is working to translate all the package
descriptions.  I'm not actually aware of how this may work in Ubuntu:
perhaps someone else has a better answer?

--
Emmet HIKORY