NEW Packages process

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort pochu at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 16 17:27:05 BST 2008

Stephan Hermann wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:52:45 +0200
> Emilio Pozuelo Monfort <pochu at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Anyway, should I see a package for which the packager says he won't
>> look at it anymore when it hits the archive because it's not his
>> duty, I won't upload it. With those arguments, it's not his duty to
>> package it and get it into the archive either way, so why should he
>> be allowed to do one but not the other if he doesn't care for the
>> package?
>
> Well, you don't know the guy who wants to get his package uploaded to
> the archive..

I may know him :)

> so after the package hit the archive, the whole MOTU team
> is responsible to "support" the package anyways...just because "the
> former guy who proposed the package doesn't want to maintain it
> anymore" is no reason to drop the package from the archive...

Right. I meant if the packager said it beforehand. But I agree with you that if
he doesn't say anything and I upload it, you're right he disappearing wouldn't
be a (good enough) reason to remove the package.

This makes me (sadly?) want to concentrate on packages for which I know the
packager will keep the interest on them.

Cheers,
Emilio