Atmosphere in the MOTU team (Was: Re: StableReleaseUpdates: gnumed-client (0.2.6.3-1ubuntu0.1) available for testing)

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 23 10:39:21 BST 2007

Am Dienstag, den 23.10.2007, 15:20 +1000 schrieb Sarah Hobbs:
> Michael, what in hell were you thinking?

This kind of language is not necessary. It does not help coming to a
solution.

But let's step back from this very mail. In the last weeks I've
witnessed various discussions in #ubuntu-motu and others places, that
had a similar tone.

It saddens me to see that kind of atmosphere and not a productive,
cheerful one. What we need is a friendly culture that gives new people
who join in for the first time the feeling of "these guys get things
done, I'm going to have fun joining this team". This does not mean
silencing or keeping things quiet at all.

We're a team of equals, spread over lots of time-zones; the team has a
wealth of different cultural and personal backgrounds. Some of us are
students, pupils, people who get paid for their work on Ubuntu and some
of us have just pursue their personal interests.

Our decisions affect lots of hours of work we put into Ubuntu and over
20000 packages in the archive. We can't afford to let this happen in a
rash or irrational way.

Banjamin Mako Hill put it extremely well in the Code of Conduct and I
think it's worth quoting it again:
"""
Be respectful. The Ubuntu community and its members treat one another
with respect. Everyone can make a valuable contribution to Ubuntu. We
may not always agree, but disagreement is no excuse for poor behaviour
and poor manners. We might all experience some frustration now and then,
but we cannot allow that frustration to turn into a personal attack.
It's important to remember that a community where people feel
uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one. We expect members
of the Ubuntu community to be respectful when dealing with other
contributors as well as with people outside the Ubuntu project, and with
users of Ubuntu.
"""

I want to try to make this atmosphere an evident part of our culture,
something people know us by. Also, I added "It will make efforts to keep
the atmosphere calm and productive." to the charter of the MOTU Council.

Please let us all try to make that a reality in our team again. If you
want to talk to me about it, let me know and I'll make time for it.

Have a *very* nice day,
 Daniel