StableReleaseUpdates: gnumed-client (0.2.6.3-1ubuntu0.1) available for testing

Sarah Hobbs hobbsee at kubuntu.org
Tue Oct 23 06:20:55 BST 2007

Michael, what in hell were you thinking?

This is utterly and totally unacceptable.  Gutsy is a stable release,
and so needs a very high level of QA.  This is precisely *why* we have
the pain of stable release updates.  You throwing untested crap in there
 highlights the lack of care you have towards our users.

Part of being a Master of the Universe, (or a Core Dev), is to know what
is reasonable to go into the archives, and what is not.  An untested
package is *never* suitable to go into a stable release (or even
proposed updates to a stable release)!

At this point, I'd like to question what we do with people who make
uploads like this.  If these uploads are repeated, I think we really
need to look at removing their upload rights, because they clearly are
not suitable for MOTU, based on their lack of care for QA.

On the other hand, if this is acceptable conduct for people in MOTU now,
perhaps we need to document that universe really is completely
unsupported, and that people should not expect it to mostly work at all.
If this is the case, I suspect a number of us will seriously consider
stepping down, or focusing exclusively on main, as MOTU's aims have
changed, and we actually care about QA.

I'd like to point out that Michael is not the only one who's been
pushing recent fixes to gutsy without testing.  These others should also
read this mail carefully, and think a little more before they upload.

As a candidate for the MOTU council, and the MOTU, I (and the rest of
MOTU, i suspect) expect better of you.  Please don't do this again.

Hobbsee