Change in the Mentoring program

Nicolas Valcarcel nvalcarcel at gmail.com
Sat Nov 17 00:37:38 GMT 2007

I like the idea of separating mentoring on 2 stages, and i find nice the
idea of not sponsoring the mentees patches. I know the MOTUs will know when
they are comfortable with the upload, but in the other hand it's common to
think "he has made exactly what i tell him to do, so it must be fine" or to
test and fine a little problem, tell the mentee to change it, and then
assume he has made it without making another mistake, so, if my vote count
(i don't know how it works for non-MOTUs) i will say to apply the 3 changes.

On Nov 15, 2007 10:54 PM, Brandon Holtsclaw <imbrandon at kubuntu.org> wrote:

> > > I would additionally like to propose that assigned mentors not sponsor
> > > changes by their mentees.  This will better integrate mentees with the
> MOTU
> > > community, reduce montor worloak, and expose hopefuls to more diverse
> > > inputs from more MOTUs.
> > >
> > [..]
> > Hm... I like the goal, but I don't see particular harm being done if a
> mentor
> > sponsors a mentee, as long as the goal is actually still met.
> +1
> I live the idea of Stage 1 and Stage 2 separation and am willing to
> shift me efforts to the Stage 1 needs of mentees ( I have no current
> mentee's ) But not sponsoring a mentee's patches I think ads just a
> little too much red tape into the program for my taste, I see no problem
> with it as MOTU should know when they are comfortable uploading a given
> patch/change , that is of course why they were given upload privileges
> in the first place. I agree that a Mentor should work to integrate the
> mentee into the MOTU Community.
>
> --
> Brandon Holtsclaw
> imbrandon at kubuntu.org