Fast-track mentoring for lupine_85 and pricechild

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Sat Mar 17 18:47:14 GMT 2007

On Saturday 17 March 2007 13:29, Stefan Potyra wrote:

> 3.) The mentor calls MC to grant him restricted upload rights for a number
> of p. MC will nod this through and forwards it to TB. (or the mentor
> directly contacts TB, maybe that's easier since the mentor will still be
> responsible for what upstream uploads then on his own). Uploads right will
> be limited to a short term (maybe 2 month?). The mentor will still watch
> then what upstream uploads, maybe not that deeply but he'll still be the
> one who would be responsible for fixing things resulting from bad uploads.
>
> Not quite sure what then should happen:
>
> a) after the initial upload rights have timed out, they can not be renewed,
> because upstream should by that time have become a full-fledged MOTU.
>
> optional 4.)
> upstream packagers will become MOTUs with the normal process, which however
> won't be really hard then because they can show what packages they all
> uploaded so far :).
>
> What do you think?

I think this kind of approach is good.  It makes it clear that this new level
is a half-step towards MOTU.  You either continue on to become MOTU or go
back and join me among the unwashed masses.  There is no permanent right in
Universe to deal with just your stuff.  I think it would avoid most of the
social downsides I was worried about in my post on the topic.

Personally, I think the status quo is quite reasonable, but if a change is
going to be made, this would be a good direction to go.

Scott K