Link to "Contributing to Debian" From REVU?

Andrew Price andy at andrewprice.me.uk
Fri Mar 16 01:46:12 GMT 2007

On 16/03/07 01:24, Andrew Hunter wrote:
> On March 15, 2007 16:31:17 Andrew Price wrote:
>> I was wondering, maybe there should be a link to the Contributing To
>> Debian wiki page ( https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ContributingToDebian ) on the
>> REVU website and/or on relevant wiki pages that link to REVU.
>> Accompanying something along the lines of "Before submitting your
>> package to REVU, consider packaging it for Debian first. Once it's in
>> Debian unstable it will automatically get into Ubuntu universe and
>> everybody wins". Just a suggestion.
>
> An interesting suggestion, just that if you go that route, it is proably will
> not make it into the next release cycle (unless it is at the end of one).

That's a choice that the developers/packagers are free to make for
themselves really, which is cool. I mean, I know from first hand
experience that some packages won't be compatible with Debian unstable
but will be compatible with Ubuntu (in my case, because Ubuntu had a
newer Gnome than Debian and some APIs had changed between the versions).
But I'm all for contributing back to Debian where possible since they
contribute so much to Ubuntu.

--
Andy Price
IRC: welshbyte