call for votes: KDE4 uploads to universe

Stefan Potyra sistpoty at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 9 17:53:57 GMT 2007

Hi,

(following up on -motu, to have the discussion there).

On Friday 09 March 2007 10:26:45 Daniel Holbach wrote:
> I'd like to further discuss it. I think you have to make a distinction
> between "stable everyday software" and "technology preview software". We
> had a couple of other examples in the past, where we put software into
> Universe which wasn't stable at all and didn't have the 'quality' tag
> that all our other packages have. Think of telepathy, think of galago
> packages.
>
> Personally I think it's important to expose new software to users, so
> upstream can get feedback from it and go from there. It's no shame to
> try something new, see it crash, report a bug and move back to the old
> software you're used to. It's software for the curious and it helps
> upstream improve their software.

I don't object that much to bringing in experimental software. However the
intention to not support this software then (as Jonathan stated [1], Jonathan
please correct me if I read that wrong) is what I particularly don't like, as
this means that MOTUs will need to do that work then.

Side note: I've called for a MC vote [2] quite early with a certain intention:
Imo it would be a good thing to bring this issue before TB as soon as
possible (probably on 13th?) since it's impact is not limited to MOTU land
but also on the kubuntu community. Does that sound sane?

Cheers,
   Stefan.
--
[1]: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2007-March/001374.html