xinetd as a inetd replacement

Emmet Hikory emmet.hikory at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 10:07:16 BST 2007

On 6/25/07, Kjeldgaard Morten <mok at bioxray.dk> wrote:
> I am puzzled. Xinetd is listed on the FSF directory page (http://
> directory.fsf.org/network/servers/xinetd.html) with explicit
> information that the license is a "3-clause-BSD-style license" which
> is said to be compatible with GPL. The page doesn't mention the
> patches, though. However, software listed as Free Software on FSF's
> webpages ought to be OK for Ubuntu, don't you think?

    I really don't think that the xinetd COPYRIGHT (1) matches the
3-clause BSD license (2).  The FSF has posted comments on the xinetd
license (3), and the debian-legal list has previously discussed (4)
the license, although the concentration was on the version numbering
restrictions, rather than the requirement that authors of
modifications be listed in the COPYRIGHT file.

    More generally, I believe it is the responsibility of Ubuntu to
ensure that any software distributed is only distributed in line with
those licenses that have been granted to Ubuntu with regards to
distribution, and that while external sources may be helpful in
establishing an understanding, those sources are not necessarily
authoritative with regards to Ubuntu's responsibilities.

1: http://www.xinetd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/xinetd/COPYRIGHT?rev=1.1.1.1
2: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/info/BSD_3Clause.html
3: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/license-list.html#xinetd
4: Thread Start(?): http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/07/msg00029.html