Preparing the way for emacs22 with many individual package updates

Toby Smithe tsmithe at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 5 22:39:26 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 17:10 -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Reinhard Tartler <siretart at ubuntu.com>:
> > deb http://ppa.dogfood.launchpad.net/siretart/ubuntu/ gutsy main universe
> > deb-src http://ppa.dogfood.launchpad.net/siretart/ubuntu/ gutsy main universe
>
> Um, this doesn't look like a command.  Am I suppose to stuff it in a
> config file somewhere?  Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a recovering Fedora user.

They are "apt lines", which describe to apt where to download packages
and the metadata from. The "deb" line describes the binary repository,
whilst the "deb-src" line, as expected, describes the sources
repository. They are usually placed into /etc/apt/sources.list, or a
file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d. After updating this file, you will need
to update the cache, by running "apt-get update".

There is a GUI for this functionality
at /usr/bin/software-properties-gtk, which can be found in the menus as
System/Administration/'Software Sources'.

Toby Smithe