Preparing the way for emacs22 with many individual package updates

Eric S. Raymond esr at
Thu Jul 5 22:10:08 BST 2007

Reinhard Tartler <siretart at>:
> If you have suggestion how to improve the documentation, let us
> know. Where would you have expected documentation about
> update-alternatives?

This is not the kind of problem which can be solved with documentation.
Requiring users to RTFM in situations like this is a confession of UI
design failure.  See my mini-rant in response to Michael Olson.

Would a Mac user, for example, ever have to RTFM to install such an

> > More generally, I'm a fairly heavyweight Emacs expert (author of a
> > couple of the standard-library packages, among other things).
> > Please consider me available for package testing.
> Okay, I'm currently uploading Michaels emacs22 package to my personal
> package archive. They should appear soon there. You can use the
> following apt line for installing them (as soon as they get published
> and built on the build daemons):
> deb gutsy main universe
> deb-src gutsy main universe

Um, this doesn't look like a command.  Am I suppose to stuff it in a
config file somewhere?  Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a recovering Fedora user.