Preparing the way for emacs22 with many individual package updates

Michael Olson mwolson at gnu.org
Wed Jul 4 15:14:33 BST 2007

Reinhard Tartler <siretart at ubuntu.com> writes:

> CC'ing Romain, since I think this might be interesting for him.
>
> Michael Olson <mwolson at gnu.org> writes:
>
>> I'm starting to go through each of the Emacs Lisp packages I use and
>> make certain that they would work with a theoretical emacs22 package.
>> I've also fixed lintian warnings and other errors along the way, and
>> submitted fixes back to the Debian package maintainers.
>
> I'm currently using emacs22 from the emacs-snapshot package in
> gutsy. In fact, it was me who requested the sync from Romain's private
> archive. I'm not sure if you are aware of this fact.
>
> In fact, there is already an emacs22 package in debian/experimental.
> What I wanted to ask you is: Are you working on that package, or on
> Romain's emacs-snapshot package? Or are you working on your own
> emacs22 package? In any case, why?

I am working on my own emacs22 package, which is based heavily on
Romain's emacs-snapshot package.

My package may be retrieved by adding the following to your
/etc/apt/sources.list.

deb http://mwolson.org/ubuntu/emacs ./
deb-src http://mwolson.org/ubuntu/emacs ./

For now, I've modified those packages such that bug reports go to my own
email address, since they aren't in gutsy yet.  Upon making gutsy, this
should be changed.

My work on fixing packages to work with emacs22 is also there.

> The problem I see with debian's package is that is strips of
> documentation in another source package, something that we don't need
> nor want in ubuntu (well, we could make our lives easy and just hard
> depend on the documentation, but let's not go crazy here..)

I completely agree.  The very reason I am pushing for my emacs22 package
(or, if some other Ubuntu core developer wants to maintain it instead,
their package) rather than Debian's is because I do not want to see the
documentation and GNU Manifesto stripped out into a separate "nondfsg"
package.

> For gutsy, I think we should decide if we want to ship with
> 'emacs-snapshot', go to experimental's emacs22 package, or work on a
> dedicated 'ubuntu emacs22' package.

How about both my emacs22 package, and also an updated version of
Romain's emacs-snapshot (still packaged as emacs-snapshot)?

--
       Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652     |
 http://mwolson.org/ -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net  |  /` |\ | | |