Preparing the way for emacs22 with many individual package updates

Reinhard Tartler siretart at
Wed Jul 4 15:41:47 BST 2007

Michael Olson <mwolson at> writes:

> I am working on my own emacs22 package, which is based heavily on
> Romain's emacs-snapshot package.

Ah, cool! I noticed and already joined the lp group you created:

Do you intend to host your packaging branch there? What is that group

I've just had a very brief look at the source package, and tried to
compare it to Romains package. The differences seem to be considerable.

What is your plan about your emacs22 package? Do you intend to have it
in gutsy? With whom do you work together to bring that work in ubuntu?

>> The problem I see with debian's package is that is strips of
>> documentation in another source package, something that we don't need
>> nor want in ubuntu (well, we could make our lives easy and just hard
>> depend on the documentation, but let's not go crazy here..)
> I completely agree.  The very reason I am pushing for my emacs22 package
> (or, if some other Ubuntu core developer wants to maintain it instead,
> their package) rather than Debian's is because I do not want to see the
> documentation and GNU Manifesto stripped out into a separate "nondfsg"
> package.

I'd be willing to help out with maintaining, however, my emacs-lisp
knowledge is very limited. I'm using emacs22 a lot, however.

>> For gutsy, I think we should decide if we want to ship with
>> 'emacs-snapshot', go to experimental's emacs22 package, or work on a
>> dedicated 'ubuntu emacs22' package.
> How about both my emacs22 package, and also an updated version of
> Romain's emacs-snapshot (still packaged as emacs-snapshot)?

I'm not sure what Romain's plans are for emacs-snapshot, but this sounds

Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4