Bitchx in Ubuntu Edgy

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Nov 27 15:25:20 GMT 2006

Gabriel Puliatti wrote:
> According to the Debian Policy Manual, Depends is only to be used when:
>
> # The Depends field should be used if the depended-on package is
> required for the depending package to provide a significant amount of
> functionality.
>
> # The Depends field should also be used if the postinst, prerm or
> postrm scripts require the package to be present in order to run.
> Note, however, that the postrm cannot rely on any non-essential
> packages to be present during the purge phase.
>
> Which the plugin does not fulfill. Therefore, it would be either
> Recommends or Suggests, depending on the usefulness and popularity of
> the plugin.

I agree, this should not be listed in the depends field.  I sometimes
get suggests and recommends backwards, but iirc, it is recommends that
means "this package will be needed for a typical installation to
function as expected".  If this plugin is one that is going to be used
in a typical installation then the mysql package should be listed as a
recommends, if it is more of an optional thing that not many people use,
then it should be suggests.