Bitchx in Ubuntu Edgy

Varsis Tomashibi var at internode.on.net
Fri Nov 24 02:26:52 GMT 2006

Daniel Jacobowitz Wrote:

> The plugin is included in the bitchx package.  It won't work without
> mysql.  Therefore, by default, mysql is a dependency.
>
> The plugin is "europa"; I don't remember what it's for.
>
> I can't find a reference for it, but enabling optional features in
> Debian packages even when they require additional libraries is standard
> practice.  It is no kind of hardship to install mysql-common to use
> BitchX.  It's not like you need the server.

I understand your position, though I think that it would better serve
the user base by having the option to have bitchx without mysql support
and without the plug-in that requires it. Though I guess that's just how
I see things perhaps? :)

Gabriel Puliatti Wrote:
> I'd say the best idea would be to split the package in two, one with
> the plugin(s) which depends on mysql, and the other one with just
> BitchX, depending on the things BitchX needs.
>
> Or a Recommends:.

I agree with this, though that would only be necessary if the plug-in
needs to be compiled into the application, otherwise a
Recommend/Suggestion for the plug-in would be more acceptable.

The only reason I bring this up is due to over complication for users
who just want the bitchx irc client and it's nominal functionality, and
those who use dial-up (or worse) connections... yes there are still many
countries with 3k/sec speeds :(

- Varsis (aka ferro)