Packaging of new upstream versions in Ubuntu

Lucas Nussbaum lucas at lucas-nussbaum.net
Wed Jan 18 17:41:09 GMT 2006

Hi,

I noticed that some MOTUs package new upstream releases without
notifying the Debian maintainer. Just to help understand the problem, an
example of suchregularly  package is gparted, whose debian version is
0.0.9-1, while the current universe version is 0.1-0ubuntu1.

Such work is nice, but please notify the Debian maintainer that you
packaged the new upstream release:

* duplication of work in the free software world is useless, we have
enough to do.
* this will make later merges much easier to do for us, since it avoids
divergence.

The easiest to do that is by filing a bug in the Debian Bug Tracking
System.

A. If there's no "new upstream release available" bug opened in the
Debian BTS, you can use the following template as an example: (note that
I haven't actually submitted a bug about gparted).