Meres Galore!

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 8 21:49:42 GMT 2006

Luke Yelavich wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 09, 2006 at 06:16:16AM EST, Jérémie Corbier wrote:
>
>> As I already said to some of you on #ubuntu-motu a few days ago, I am
>> currently too busy at work and at home to do any Ubuntu-related work so feel
>> free to take care of my pending merges and syncs.
>>
>> Keep on doing a great job!
>>

> I had an idea a few weeks ago about merges. Do we think for next cycle,
> that if people know they are going to be busy, that they put their name
> on a list, with an idea of when they may be back? This list can then be
> checked, so if people are looking to do merges, they know who they can
> take merges from, and it will give new MOTU hopefuls an idea of where
> they can start, without stepping on someone else's toes.
>
> Just a thought.

Is there an inherent reason why we can't just use a temporary "lock"
solution like we did in Dapper where when you want to do a merge you
filed a bug and closed it when you were done? If we tagged the bugs with
"[Feisty merge]" it would be fairly easy to see what's going on. Then
when people go to do a merge/sync the first thing they could look for is
an existing bug. Is that too much bug traffic? It seems to me the issue
is not so much "ownership" as duplication of effort (we don't want 2
people merging/uploading the same thing) so putting a temporary lock on
a merge while you are working on it is really what we are looking for.

-Jordan