Merges Galore!

Soren Hansen sh at linux2go.dk
Fri Dec 8 15:58:55 GMT 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:50:24PM +0100, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> It'd be great if you could all grab a few of them, notify the last
> uploader that you're cracking on them and get them done. I'm sure
> there's a lot of packages we can just sync from Debian.

It might just be me, but I find it tedious to have to notify people that
I'm doing their merges. As Paul Sladen put it on IRC yesterday: 'Ubuntu
wins by not having a "maintainer lock".  Lets not start trying to
enforce one'.  This makes a lot of sense to me. During either Dapper or
Breezy (don't remember) the procedure was to file a bug saying that you
were working on a merge. I liked the idea that there was a single place
to check to see if anyone else was working on a particular merge. No
implied ownership or anything. I did, however, find that particular
process a bit too heavyweight. I'm not sure why.

It's not that I want to "steal" other people's work (what would be the
point?), it's just that when I start working on merges, I'd like to be
able to do a whole bunch of them in a row without having to stop all the
time to ask people if it's ok that I touch their packages. For now, I'm
managing by only picking the ones that were done by people who are not
#ubuntu-motu regulars.
It all seems especially silly since after the merge has been done, there
is no ownership at all.  If a bug is filed on a particular package,
everyone is free to fix it.  Just assign the package to yourself, and
that's it.

Maybe if every merge was filed as a bug on launchpad with a
"universe-merge" tag and when someone decided to work on it, they'd
assign themselves to the bug.  The person who did the previous merge
would be subscribed right away, but *not* assigned. Would that make
sense?

Am I all alone in the world with this view?

--
| Soren Hansen    | Linux2Go                  | http://Linux2Go.dk/ |
| Seniorkonsulent | Lindholmsvej 42, 2. TH    | +45 46 90 26 42     |