science package work for Hardy

Jordan Mantha mantha at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 14 21:59:30 GMT 2008

Hi all,

It's been a very long time since we had any activity here. I'd like to
bring your attention to some things that could be done to help make
Hardy a top-notch science OS. Because LTS releases are often used more
by scientist than our general population I think it's doubly important
that we make sure science packages are in good shape for Hardy.

Thanks to William Grant (Fujitsu) we have a nice page that tracks the
Ubuntu and Debian versions of science packages [0]. In particular, the
"Outdated in Hardy (Sid version > Hardy version)" [1], "Outdated in
Hardy (Sid version > Hardy version), and Hardy has local changes" [2],
and "Not in Hardy" [3] sections are ones that we should be looking at.

We should be looking particularly for packages that have new upstream
versions or new Debian revisions that fix bugs. If anybody has questions
feel free to ask here, ubuntu-motu or #ubuntu-motu on IRC.

Also Aanjhan has done a little work on the wiki page [4], but we could
use some more updating/cleanup.

-Jordan

[0] http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/multidistrotools/science.html
[1] http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/multidistrotools/science.html#outdatedinB