Application for a Mentor

Jeff Enns ubuntu at jeff-mel.com
Mon Jun 8 11:50:51 BST 2009

Hello,

My name is Jeff Enns and my launchpad user name is cyberpenguinks.

I'm 33 years old and live in the United States (Kansas).  My native
language is English.

I have been a linux user for 14 years (started on RedHat),
administered linux servers (mainly running tcp services like Apache,
MySQL, named, etc) for 8 years and spent 4 years developing in-house
back-end applications and daemons on linux (RedHat and Slackware),
Tru64 and HP-UX.  I'm mainly a C/C++ developer with 2 years experience
with Trolltech's QT framework (front-end and back-end).  I do have
experience with Perl (4 years) and PHP (3 years).  I have working
knowledge of tcp/ip and multi-threaded development.  I have had no
experience developing open source nor contributing/maintaining
packages, but am wanting to.

I have started out in the BugSquad about a week ago sense that seems
to be needed and I figured I can learn more about Ubuntu's personality
and get involved with the community (I plan to continue work for the
BugSquad even if I do become a member of MOTU).  My launchpad site is
https://launchpad.net/~cyberpenguinks.  I have had very little
experience with Debian-based linux distros.  In recent years I have
used Slackware and OpenSUSE.  However, I've grown to appreciate Ubuntu
and what it stands for.  I've been using Ubuntu on one machine at home
for about a year now.  The community seems very active and I would
like to participate and do my part to give back.

My interests are with daemons like squid, apache, dhcpd, etc or CLI
packages.  I'm not picky about which package I would want to work on,
just stick me where I'm needed.

My current job is a linux administrator, so I always use ssh,
vim/gvim, named, dhcpd, grep, awk, etc.  I also use Firefox,
OpenOffice and several of the games at home.

I've been going through the MOTU/GettingStarted guides, especially
going over the Packaging documentation.  My main concern is getting
acquainted with Ubuntu's way of doing things.

Thank you for your time and your consideration,

Jeff Enns