How to maintain an upstream package with bzr?

Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier juanje.ojeda at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 10:31:56 BST 2009

2009/8/11 James Westby <jw+debian at jameswestby.net>:
> Juan Jesús Ojeda Croissier wrote:
>> Well, my problem is that I'm don't know (and I've been reading and
>> searching a lot the last 3 weeks) how is the proper way to do it.
>> I'll explain myself... Before we had a bad version style, we were
>> versioning the packages as a native packages (0.1.3 or 1.0.2guada2).
>> That was really easy for us and our buildding system (a buildbot with
>> some home made hooks) was working fine. The problem show up when we
>> change the version to non-native package (0.1.3-1 or 1.0.2-2). Then
>> lintian cry about the "debian/watch" file or a "get-orig-source"
>> target at "debian/rules" file. Also de dpkg-buildpackage ask for a
>> *.orig.tar.gz file which doesn't exist...
>
> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> Why do you feel the need to change the version number to a non-native
> version? It sounds to me like you have a native package, and so there
> is no need to try and create a tarball.

Well, that was something that people from Debian told me when I tried
to upload to Debian mentors. Actually the packages are developed for
Guadalinex, but they can be used on Ubuntu, Debian and if you do the
packaging stuff, on others distros.
Here you can see the kind of packages I am talking about:

At Ubuntu:
  * http://revu.ubuntuwire.com/u/juanje

At Debian:
  * http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/maintainer-packages?action=details;package=mount-systray
  * http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/maintainer-packages?action=details;package=lemurae
  * http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/maintainer-packages?action=details;package=hermeshardware

Thanks for the interest and for the answer :-)
Cheers

--
Juanje