Help on bug fixing

Cesare Falco cesare.falco at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 22:41:07 GMT 2008

> I'm interested in why you added an init script, and didn't just let the
> user launch a btpd for themselves.
let me quote the author:
"The daemon is capable of running several torrents simultaneously and
only uses one tcp port. It's fairly low on resource usage and should be
perfect for file distribution sites."

I feel the right way to run such a daemon is to make it a system one,
allowing users to add and remove their torrents through the client
interface rather than running a daemon instance themselves.
In short, I want it to act as a server, rather than a client like, say,
Transmission.

> Does the kill command ask the daemon to quit?
> Having a user being able to kill a system-wide daemon would be unusual.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm worrying about. ;)

> Why would the user want to kill the daemon?
I guess when he has no more torrents to download. :)
Yet I think the script should be used instead. Maybe a patch?!

> > 2. Should I simply tell the user in the Readme to start/stop the daemon
> > in a more ubuntu-like manner?
>
> Yeah, but it seems this user didn't read the README.
So I agree. And it looks the bug hardest to solve... ;)

Thanks for your help!
Cesare F.