Help on bug fixing

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Mon Nov 3 23:59:43 GMT 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 23:41 +0100, Cesare Falco wrote:
> > I'm interested in why you added an init script, and didn't just let the
> > user launch a btpd for themselves.
> let me quote the author:
> "The daemon is capable of running several torrents simultaneously and
> only uses one tcp port. It's fairly low on resource usage and should be
> perfect for file distribution sites."
>
> I feel the right way to run such a daemon is to make it a system one,
> allowing users to add and remove their torrents through the client
> interface rather than running a daemon instance themselves.
> In short, I want it to act as a server, rather than a client like, say,
> Transmission.

You mentioned fetchmail in your earlier message, and while that provides
a daemon, it also allows you to run your own. However, that's different
as you don't have a client connecting to it.

How about a patch to the server such that it won't die if requested to
by a non-root user when running system-wide?

What happens if I just run "btpd" when the system one is already running?
Where is the socket placed for a btpd that isn't running system-wide?

Thanks,

James