New model for the mentoring program

Andres E. Rodriguez Lazo andreserl at ubuntu-pe.org
Tue Jul 15 17:48:41 BST 2008

I believe this is a great improvement on the mentoring program and that this
is a very good initiative of you MOTUs to help us beginners in getting more
involved with Ubuntu Development.

So, i guess i have a question regarding on how will the application to
become to obtain a mentor will be, and where/how will MOTU classes will
held?

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 4:36 AM, Cesare Tirabassi <norsetto at ubuntu.com>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> the current mentoring program has been in place for about one year.
>
> During this time several shortcomings of this model have become evident,
> especially as the number of new contributors grow. The alternative
> sponsoring
> model is also felt quite inadequate, especially for new contributors and
> contributors which are on their way to motuship.
>
> What is evident today, is that:
>
> - Some MOTU have weaknesses in certain skill areas
> - Those potential contributors who are not self-starters aren't getting
>  started
> - There is an insufficient number of volunteers to act as Mentors
> - There is an insufficient number of volunteers to teach MOTU School
> classes
> - Many existing contributors have difficulty reaching a sufficient skill
> level
>  to apply for MOTU
>
> With the introduction of the ubuntu-universe-contributors team, it is
> finally
> time that we implement the new structure, as we already discussed in [1]
> and
> [2].
>
> Our proposal is to split the Mentoring program into two parts:
>
> - a program to help new contributors who wish personal attention when
> starting
> - a program to help established contributors who wish personal guidance
> when
>  applying for motuship
>
> Furthermore, stronger ties with the current MOTU School program will be
> established.
> All participants in the Mentoring program will be expected to attend MOTU
> School sessions, and those not in regular attendance may no longer be
> eligible for Mentoring.
> All contributors alike are expected to take an active role in preparing and
> giving sessions on fields where they are particularly experienced, as well
> as
> in general Q&A sessions.
>
> The new program is detailed in:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU/Mentoring/NewModel
>
> Before finally implementing this change, we would like to hear from you,
> MOTU
> and contributors alike, if you have any remaining objections or comment.
>
> Cesare
>
> [1]
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu-mentors/2007-October/000153.html
> [2]https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-motu/2007-November/002728.html

Andres E. Rodriguez Lazo (4nDr3s - RoAkSoAx)
Official Ubuntu Member
Ubuntu Counter Project - User # 17582