Cryptography - Upstream and Cryptography - Client

Malcolm Scott / Retrosnub malcolm at retrosnub.co.uk
Wed Mar 30 12:44:35 UTC 2011

At 10:14 yesterday, Felipe Agnelli Barbosa wrote:

> I am new to the list, I got my mirror and I would heal one question, how do
> I encrypt the data in sync with my Upstream?(I use rsync)

Why?  If you're worried about the data being tampered with, the metadata is
protected by PGP signatures which are verified by apt, and the metadata
contains hashes of the package data which are also verified, so it's safe
out of the box.

> And also, how do I encrypt my data for my customers?

apt-transport-https allows clients to place https:// URLs in sources.list,
but again I am unsure why this is necessary.

Malcolm

--
Malcolm Scott
Retrosnub Internet Services