[Ubuntu-ma] Monitoring linux

ISLAM Abou El Ata kindyroot at gmail.com
Mer 15 Sep 11:57:28 BST 2010

Salam,

I have a spreadsheet with all in-house servers, credentials, systems,
versions, descriptions, addresses, .. etc and I just use that on a daily
basis. I keep it simple and stupid. If it's too stupid with one server I
keep a text file with more details.

We also have an internal wiki (now integrated in OpenERP)

But I am planning to experiment with Zabbix and see how I like it.

We only have 7 in-house servers right now, not a big deal. but clients
servers (located in their places) are for sure in the two digits. For this,
we edit a document that I call "Guide d'utilisation du serveur XXXX" with
all the details and we deliver a copy to the client. If an access is needed,
all the details about the machine and the hosted service are in the
document. Furthermore, someone is always trained to run the service and look
after it, watch for alerts, .. etc. So, if something happens, they just need
to pick up the phone or drop an e-mail.

Now some people will want to call me a dinosaure, but this is just the way I
work.