[உபுண்டு_தமிழ்]Translation Guidelines - Making

Tirumurti Vasudevan agnihot3 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 09:08:41 GMT 2006

On 11/10/06, மு.மயூரன் | M.Mauran <mmauran at gmail.com> wrote:
> //can do the work
> in windows environment with PO edit?//
>
> இது எப்போதும் சாத்தியப்படாது
why not? POedit does not work in windows? fyi it does.

என்பதோடு இந்த வழக்கத்தை நான் கடுமையாக
> ஆட்சேபிக்கிறேன்.
????
i object to this objection!
;-)

> ஒரு மென்பொருளை இயக்கிப்பார்க்காமல், அதன் ஒவ்வொரு சொல்லும் குறித்த
> மென்பொருளில் எங்கே எப்படி வருகிறது என்பதை கவனிக்காமல் மொழிபெயர்ப்பு செய்தால்
> அந்த மொழிபெயர்ப்பு உயிர்ப்பற்றதாக, அர்த்தமற்றதாக இருக்கும்.

imho for some 60 -80 % of the strings depending on the application no
knowledge of the application is necessory.

> தயவுசெய்து வின்டோஸ் சூழலில் நின்றுகொண்டு உபுண்டுவை மொழிபெயர்க்க வேண்டாம்.
> அது அர்த்தமற்ற வேலை.

what environment one is is upto the individual.
if one says you should not translate a po file from windows
environment........... it is meaningless is the kindest words i can
find!

let  people start doing the translations somehow.
they might get interested in it and start using the application just
to find out about it.
and might get interested and start using linux in stead of windows.
when i started translating for epiphany i came across grease monkey
and that got me curious and i installed greasy monkey and further
curiosity led to investigating the scripts and that is how i found the
most useful one in the form of MozTxtAlignFix

and you were able to write about it in detail in your blog and help so many.

so let people start translating first.
rest will follow naturally.
your antipathy to microsoft should not stand in the way of translations

tv
--
BE HAPPY! LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE UNHAPPY!