Enabling Pango in Ubuntu 6.06 for Firefox [was Re: Hello Friends]

K. Sethu skhome at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 20:29:15 BST 2006

On 07/08/06 21:16, Tirumurti Vasudevan wrote:
> aha!
> the problem is with swiftfoxnot mozilla firefox.
> so mayuran's suggestion worked after all and i could not see it.
> just assumed swiftfox should behave same way.
> mayuran was in fact so surprised that it was not working!
> thanks all.
> err........any idea how to make swiftfox show it right?
>
> tv

I just downloaded and installed swiftfox and yes, tamil input to it
mis-renders.

Then I tried launching with the two env. variable as follows (not at the
same time of course) - I have switffox folder put under /opt/ and so

MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO=0 /opt/swiftfox/swiftfox

then next

MOZ_ENABLE_PANGO=1  /opt/swiftfox/swiftfox

and yep,  in both cases I find the tamil input rendering problem of
glyphs being misplaced.

I guess they made swiftfox by doing away with plugins and supports that
are considered as slowing down the starting of firefox - such as not
enabling Pango support. Perhaps that's why they named it *swift*fox ?

~Sethu