[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Wastebasket/Deleted Items

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sat Aug 26 11:54:52 BST 2006

On Saturday 26 August 2006 19:14, William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:
> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > No, we have not officially established everything yet. As a means of
> > doing that, I would like to learn the preferences of en_GB group members
> > through a ballot. You can vote here:
> >
> > https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-l10n-en-gb/+poll/trash-naming/+vote-s
> >imple
>
> I voted for deleted-items-folder (why it's a secret poll, I don't know :)

I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but a secret ballot is the best way to
ensure a fair outcome. I, and several others here, have already indicated a
preference for Deleted Items, so we have no privacy in this matter :)

> but I'd like to place a caveat that - and sorry if this is obvious - it
> should appear as "Deleted Items" on the desktop, and only require the
> "folder" descriptor when required by context.

Definitely agreed. That is how I have envisioned it from the beginning.

> I think in an en-GB context, this sounds most professional; wouldn't your
> skin crawl if you presented an enterprise-class operating system to
> someone, and it said "Rubbish" on the desktop? :)

I really don't think that Rubbish is any worse than Trash. The only difference
is that Trash has already become entrenched.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan
  {GnuPG/OpenPGP: http://www.dhanapalan.com/yama.asc

"Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is
no need to do so, almost everybody gets busy on the proof." - John Kenneth
Galbraith