[Ubuntu-l10n-eng] Expanding the scope of the en-GB translation

Toby Smithe toby.smithe at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 14:03:30 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-08-19 at 22:48 +1000, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On Saturday 19 August 2006 22:05, William Anderson <neuro at well.com> wrote:
> > Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 15 August 2006 19:46, "Matthew Vermeulen"
> > > <mattvermeulen at gmail.com>

> > > In that case, I propose that the entries in the "Dialectical Differences"
> > > table remain the same, apart from "Wastebasket" which should become
> > > "Rubbish Bin". Since we have already been using Wastebasket in our Dapper
> > > translations, I suggest that this change takes place as of Edgy.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on this?
> >
> > Where is the precedent for using "Rubbish Bin" in an operating system?  It
> > sounds awfully unprofessional sounding to me.  I know "Trash" sounds no
> > better, but can you imagine someone's face when they install an OS,
> > selecting en-GB, and seeing "Rubbish Bin" on their desktop?
>
> On the whole, the effect is no different from "Wastebasket", "Recycle Bin", or
> as you yourself have mentioned, "Trash". My point is that "Wastebasket"
> sounds odd in many places but AFAIK "Rubbish Bin" is quite universal
> worldwide (including the UK).

I must agree that here - in Kent - Wastebasket sounds odd to me. I have
never said it; but when reading the word, it's just rather a mouthful.
I'd much agree that "Rubbish Bin" is much better, but a bit lengthy. It
may also sound a bit alien to the conservative; who (at least here) know
of the Rubbish Bin as the green "wheelie bin". Just "Rubbish" is
probably better still, but still carries a strange feel to it. Trash is
definitely a no-go, though.

--
To get my public key:
gpg --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 9BC84E4E