[ubuntu-ko] Default fonts for Korean

Gunnar Hjalmarsson gunnarhj at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 30 13:01:53 UTC 2017

Hi Keechang,

So far I have got contradictory responses. Some want to do it now, some
want to wait.

On 2017-10-30 13:17, Keechang Kim wrote:
> I have tested Noto Sans CJK just a little bit since receiving your
> email. Compared to Nanum (which renders Korean glyphs quite
> satisfactorily without autohinting), Noto Sans CJK Korean glyphs show
> up on my screen in a somewhat blurry manner.

When testing initially with Noto for Japanese, there was some rendering
issue, but it was dealt with using this configuration file:

https://launchpadlibrarian.net/340245170/69-language-selector-ja.conf

So it might be possible to find a similar fix for Korean too.

> Chromium also seems to have some issues with Noto Sans KR.

Can you elaborate on which those issues are? Are you using the
fonts-noto-cjk package when testing, or did you install Noto fonts in
some other way? (I'm asking because there was an issue with
Chrome/Chromium for Chinese in 16.04, and it was resolved through a
package change.)

> I believe that the decision to switch to Noto Sans CJK for Korean
> environment would require a more extensive testing and more
> substantial user feedback. I would recommend postponing the decision
> to a future release rather than the next release.

Now is an ideal time to do it in a sense. Next release, 18.04, is an
LTS, and we are in the beginning of the development cycle.

So if we'd accomplish the change now, we'd have several months for
testing, fixing and evaluating. And if we fail to make Noto fonts look
good for Korean, we can revert to Nanum before the release of 18.04.

Would that be a reasonable way to deal with it?

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
https://launchpad.net/~gunnarhj