Banned Words (Was: RFC: #ubuntu op misuse or not?)

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon May 19 16:11:42 UTC 2014

I don't think (at least I hope not) that the d-word is off limits.

I have no problem with people discussing the bdfl concept:
Benevolent Dictator for Life. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bdfl
Both Debian and Python have them and the communities would suffer without.

> concerned about policies being enforced inconsistently

Each time a policy is enforced it is a unique event.  (at least the events
we should be conferenced with.   a spam bot that gets banned over and over
is not what this is about.)

There will always be differences.  I am less concerned with consistently
across events and more with people being treated decently.   This gets
tricky when someone sees a user be disruptive for a longer time and thinks
that they should be allowed to be equally disruptive.

We could expand the CoC and guidelines and documented polices ten fold to
better define more of the cases an op may have to contend with.  This would
help make things more consistent, but I don't think it wold make a
noticeable difference in the experience one fines in the ubuntu #channels.
It would however make it more time consuming to be an op, and would likely
lead to burnout, meta arguments and such.  So lets not do that.

PS, I think the current documentation is about right.  I refer others to it
as an example of something that works, like when PyCon started writing up a
CoC for the event, and a few days ago #openhatch has started developing
their version.  So whoever has contributed, well done.  I suspect you have
helped 1000's of users have a nicer experience in #ubuntu.
/me tips hat to the past.

Carl K