Call for operators

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Thu Mar 20 00:50:39 UTC 2014

Hi all,
Roughly in line with the cadence of the wider Ubuntu project we like to
have a round of operator recruitment following the Ubuntu Developer
Summit for each cycle. We are now looking for enthusiastic users of IRC
to join the operator team and help us to manage the channels that allow
us to provide instant peer reviewed open support to thousands of users
every day.

So if you’re active on our IRC channels and you think your channel has
too few operators, and if you’ve been aching to help, you should
consider applying for membership! You might get your chance if
- You are great at resolving conflicts
- You are very patient. Superhuman nerve control is a basic IRC operator
feature
- You can take criticism
- You are happy when helping and advising others
- In addition to the Code of Conduct and our IRC Guidelines, you are
happy to adhere to some additional guidelines :)

the process is documented here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcTeam/OperatorRequirements

It starts with step 1, applying to join the launchpad team for the
channel you would like to help with, they are in the form:
https://launchpad.net/~irc-ubuntu-ops change the ubuntu bit to the
channel you are interested in, for example
https://launchpad.net/~irc-ubuntu-offtopic-ops and join the team. Some
people have been doing this through the trusty cycle, and there is still
time for more people to apply.

We are currently at step 2, the call for operators. This starts a 1 week
review process where existing operators are invited to discuss the
candidates and provide feedback, for reference the queues looked like
this earlier today: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7121828/ feedback may be
provided through any of the normal means of contacting the IRCC, mailing
list, public channels, the #ubuntu-irc-council channel or any RFC 1149
compliant procedure.

Alan.

--
I work at http://libertus.co.uk