Factoids, their use and a review

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 10 19:55:42 UTC 2014

Hi all,

There have been quite a lot of discussions here and on IRC about how the
channels are being run and various concerns have been raised about how
we interact with each other and other users. Much of this was stated in
fairly general terms, but there are a few specific items that have been
identified. One was the over-use of factoids, particularly the ones
which are used to tell someone they are doing something wrong. Sometimes
using the !language command in response to someone being mildly rude is
seen as not a very human way to deal with the situation, even if it
saves you a few keystrokes. There are quite a few factoids along these
lines so we thought it would be a good exercise to collaboratively
review them, some we might remove if we don't want to use them, some we
might re-word to alter the tone, others we might decide we really quite
like and want to keep.

We are gathering an annotated list of the factoids here:

http://pad.ubuntu.com/factoids

All ops should have access to that, all loco team members should have
access to that, if you somehow still don't then join
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-etherpad and I will approve you. You can
edit the page any way you like, add factoids you would like to discuss,
insert your comments and suggestions wherever you like, it is like a
realtime wiki, it saves at every keystroke.

Please also feel free to discuss the factoids and the way that they are
being used in the #ubuntu-irc channel, this list or any other suitable
means.

On Wednesday 19th at 18:00 UTC there will be a team meeting (our new
regular schedule, third Wednesday of the month in #ubuntu-meeting) and
we will go through the list and make the changes there and then,
following the general principal of discussing things asynchronously, but
deciding things at a scheduled meeting.

This isn't "The Problem" that needs solving, it isn't the most important
issue, it isn't the most pressing concern, but it is probably the most
well defined issue with nothing blocking us from working together on it,
so it is a good place to start. The meeting on the 19th would be a great
opportunity to have a wider discussion on specific activities we could
do, or changes we could make to the way we operate as a team to address
some of the concerns that have been raised. We also welcome discussion
in the #ubuntu-irc channel, there have been suggestions that as a team
we should be more active in the #ubuntu-irc channel rather than the
#ubuntu-ops-team channel as many of the conversations in -ops-team would
benefit from wider participation.

Alan.

--
I work at http://libertus.co.uk