Opinions on #ubuntu-discuss (for IRCC meeting)

Jussi Schultink jussi01 at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 13 15:05:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM, Thomas Ward
<trekcaptainusa-tw at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I won't be around for the IRCC meeting, so for all intents and purposes i'd
> like my opinions to be stated anyways.

I likewise won't be around, so I may as well have my say also.

> So this is basically quoting from my blog, but...
>

> Several IRCC meetings ago, the IRCC decided to try and run an “experiment”
> to move Ubuntu-related non-support out of #ubuntu-offtopic, and into
> #ubuntu-discuss.
>
> While the concept was sound, and was agreed upon in a majority, there’s
> some… operational flaws… i think need to be discussed.

The concept is still sound, nothing has changed there.

> The IRCC meeting on November 25, 2012, has a discussion on this in its
> agenda. I won’t be there to provide my views, since i’m stuck on a bus all
> day that day. But, here’s my opinions:
>
> * The concept was sound, but there was little to no encouragement for users
> in #ubuntu to bring ubuntu-related discussion to the discuss channel.
> * Very little awareness to the community of the -discuss channel resulted in
> very little usage.
> * Very little actual discussion was brought up in channels, and where some
> discussion may have occurred, nobody was there to discuss it

I agree with you here, there has been very little encouragement, and
not much advertising. It was supposed to be that canonical would add
this as the discussion channel to their announcements, but that hasn't
happened - I suspect because my telling of Jono didn't get through
when everything except one important thing flew out of his head.

It seems to me that pretty much all of the problems can be remedied by
a bit of marketing and advertisement - as you ahve mentioned before,
the concept is sound.

I would be very disappointed if the channel is removed - there is no
reason t remove it, it is not causing any issues, nor ay overhead - we
just need to give it some more advertisement, preferably via Factoid
and Canonical announcement inclusion.

Jussi