Opinions on #ubuntu-discuss (for IRCC meeting)

Thomas Ward trekcaptainusa-tw at ubuntu.com
Tue Nov 13 14:33:35 UTC 2012

I won't be around for the IRCC meeting, so for all intents and purposes i'd
like my opinions to be stated anyways.

So this is basically quoting from my blog, but...

Several IRCC meetings ago, the IRCC decided to try and run an “experiment”
to move Ubuntu-related non-support out of #ubuntu-offtopic, and into
#ubuntu-discuss.

While the concept was sound, and was agreed upon in a majority, there’s
some… operational flaws… i think need to be discussed.

The IRCC meeting on November 25, 2012, has a discussion on this in its
agenda. I won’t be there to provide my views, since i’m stuck on a bus all
day that day. But, here’s my opinions:

* The concept was sound, but there was little to no encouragement for users
in #ubuntu to bring ubuntu-related discussion to the discuss channel.
* Very little awareness to the community of the -discuss channel resulted
in very little usage.
* Very little actual discussion was brought up in channels, and where some
discussion may have occurred, nobody was there to discuss it