Ubuntu IRC Council Position

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Thu May 17 21:45:13 UTC 2012

Hi all,

There is currently an empty virtual seat on the IRC Council and we are
now accepting nominations to fill it. If you are an Ubuntu Member with a
competent technical knowledge of IRC, a passion for IRC and a
willingness to help maintain effective governance of our IRC community
then you could be the leader we are looking for.

The Process
You can read about the Charter and Appointment Process for the IRC
Council here https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcCouncil
It starts with an open call for nominations (you are reading it now),
applicants will make themselves known to the IRCC via an email to
irc-council at lists.ubuntu.com and will fill out a wiki page outlining
their work in the community and why they would be a good candidate.

The current IRCC will administer this process and at the end of the
nomination period will provide a full list of applicants to the
Community Council along with any feedback and comments for the CC to review.

The Community Council will set up a vote for the Ubuntu IRC Members to
vote on qualified candidates

The Community Council will then finalise the appointment, which will be
for a term of about 18 months, expiring concurrently with the sitting IRCC.

Timescales
Nominations are open now, until the end of May (midnight UTC to be
precise, but don't wait until then). There will be a short gap while
feedback is considered and the vote is set up, then the vote will be
open for 2 weeks.

Voting Details
Voting will be done by the Ubuntu IRC Members group using the Condorcet
Internet Voting Service at http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html and
we will be using the Schulze method for completion. The voting group is
made up of people who have been awarded Ubuntu Membership and consider
themselves stakeholders in our IRC system, if you think you should be in
that group and are not then you do have time to apply for membership if
you have made a significant and sustained contribution to the Ubuntu
Project. If you are already an Ubuntu Member but not in that group then
please contact a member of the IRCC to be added.

If you have any questions about the process, or the IRCC and what we do,
then please find us on IRC

AlanBell