Channel Learnings of Freenode for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Ubuntu

Alan Bell alanbell at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 6 21:11:45 UTC 2012

Hi all,

We are undertaking a bit of a cleanup of channel access permissions to
bring them fully into line with the launchpad groups we have that should
mirror the channel access lists. Once they line up properly (some
channels will already) then we can document the exceptions such as bots
with special levels of access and use scripts to help keep them in sync
from now on.

We will be using the templates system (/msg chanserv help template) and
setting up the following templates for (almost) all core channels:

op +votiA
council +votsriRfAF

This means some people in some channels might have their access tweaked
slightly from +votriA or similar to +votiA. +r is a pretty obscure flag
that allows an operator to lift a ban on themselves (which really
shouldn't happen should it . . .) you can find out what all the flags
mean with /msg chanserv help flags. Basically +votiA should be fine for
all operator activities, the IRC Council account has additional flags so
that we can manage the access lists.

Exceptions:
#ubuntu-ops has all the core ops team with +vViA (auto voiced) and a
smaller set of people with +vVotiA (voiced and op access)

Bots across several channels have exceptional access that won't be
changed such as floodbots with +o

People who are in the launchpad operator lists and who have founder
access to channels (+F) will keep founder access (might standardise the
flags a bit here and there to line up with the council template if they
are inconsistent across channels but fundamentally no change to founders)

The Freenode staff cloak will have op access to all our channels

During this process we will be removing some people from the access
lists who are not in the launchpad lists, this is mostly people who have
expired from the launchpad teams and didn't renew. If you end up in this
category and you lapsed unintentionally then don't worry, just poke one
of the IRCC team on IRC and we will sort it out.

I will follow up with some per-channel detailed changes, and no doubt I
will make a mistake or two along the way. Everything is reverseable and
the objective of the exercise is just to standardise things to the point
that we can use scripts to help us.

Alan.

--
I work at http://libertus.co.uk