New roles in the Ubuntu IRC team

Juha Siltala juha at siltala.net
Fri Oct 28 13:55:36 UTC 2011

> On 28 Oct 2011, at 14:32, Juha Siltala <topyli at ubuntu.com> wrote:

>> Sounds like you are advocating *two* IRC Councils instead of one. Are
>> you quite sure we want this?
>>

> How on earth do you get from what I said to that?
>
> Its simple. The community makes decisions / does all the jobs you want them to do anyway. The GC team relays these decisions to freenode where appropriate. The conflict resolution team deals only with conflict resolution. I'm not sure how that equates to two IRC councils.
>
> This would be far more open, and easier to trace at what point breakdowns are occurring, rather than somewhere inside the black box that is the IRCC at the moment.

That's two teams instead of one (which is perfectly capable of doing
these core duties as it is). I also fail to see what makes your
proposed system more open than the current one. Conflict resolution
will never be public, especially when it involves users. freenode
stuff just isn't very interesting to the team anyway, unless there are
policy changes on their side, which need to be communicated.

--
Juha Siltala