Using NOTICE messages

Elián Hanisch lambdae2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 00:28:55 UTC 2011

On Sábado 12 Marzo 2011 17:19:41 Juha Siltala escribió:
> * Add eir to #ubuntu
>     - Still need to study arguments against channel notices in -ops.
> [ACTION] Ops need to provide these.

I was planning to ask some feedback about notices too, but since the subject
is already being discussed I guess better talk about it now. (Note: I haven't
read the meeting log yet)

One of the new features of the new factoid plugin in development are edit
notifications, whenever a factoid is modified/created/deleted, -ops is
notified about this. In the current implementation this is done through
notices, I was already told that ops aren't very fond of them, but I haven't
heard any arguments. Also, the message "nick called the !ops in #channel"
message is currently done with a privmsg, but I wanted to be consistent and
use notices.
Please know that I have no problem with using privmsgs instead, make it
configurable or something, but I did like to know what's the problem with
notices, we are using them in -es-ops without issues.

My reasons behind using notices:

- Protocol: notices are meant avoid looping messages between bots, the irc
spec states that notices are the same than a privmsg, but shouldn't trigger a
response. So when you send a notice, is it safe to assume that no bot or
script will try to reply to it, if one does it isn't following the spec.

- Public logs: Notices aren't logged in public logs, so whatever that a user
does in a query with the bot doesn't end in the public log. Users
trolling/spamming with the bot won't get their messages in the log.
(I know this is stupid, but do we have to add in the ToS that whatever they
say to ubottu if it has an 'is' in the sentence will be logged in -ops? :P)

- Easier to filter: This is not a user case for u-ops, but if somebody isn't
interested in seeing notices, he can filter them easily without ignoring the
bot completely. (assuming a decent client.)

--
~ m4v
https://launchpad.net/~symphony