Ubuntu ops Co-ordination channel

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Feb 28 10:50:01 UTC 2011

On 28 February 2011 10:33, Martin Meredith <mez at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Personally, I'm against this.  (I know, I'm responding after it's happened
> anyway).

I was too, but having seen the crap they put up with in -ops, I now am not.

> Yep, that's going to be easy. 1) No one can accuse as they can't see the
> contents

Not true. What's happened recently is that the CC received a complaint
from a user. I asked the IRCC for _all_ relevant conversations. I
would expect that if the same occurred again, we'd examine the logs
not only from public channels, but from this private one too.

> and 2) Anyone making an "accusation" (wild guess) would have to
> rely on trusting those in charge to have actually acted on the accusation.
>  If they're making an accusation - they're unlikely to be particularly
> trusting.

The channel also contains at least one member of the CC. I'd hope
users can trust the CC to do the right thing. Further I would also
hope that we could trust the IRCC to do the right thing.

> To me, this smells of what will become a room where everything gets out of
> hand.

I am not sure what that means. People will talk openly and honestly
about issues that are happening in other channels, with no fear of
people reading the logs and then jumping in to throw their 2p in. This
happens pretty commonly.

>  Who's going to impose the CoC on their fellow ops?

I am confident this channel will descend into madness.

> Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Cheers,
Al.