Motion to suspend eir

Jussi Schultink jussi01 at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 24 16:22:14 UTC 2011

Hello all,

It seems to me there are 2 issues that people have a problem with
here. The first being that operators are unable to comment/change
other peoples bans, the second is that eir reports floodbot bans to
the -ops-team channel.

For the first one, there are fixes on the way - every operator will be
given admin (as the ircc has now) and therefore the ability to change
bans, see information etc.

Second, the floodbot bans. While there is little we can do right at
this second about this, we are working on a solution - our own
instance of eir, where we have complete control and are able to change
everything. However, that is going to take a little while to get
working correctly, however it will come soon. I see this problem
mainly as an annoyance, not something that should interfere with our
daily work.

For reporting specific ubuntu hassles with eir, I think raising bugs
against ubuntu-bots in LP[1] would be the correct place at this time,
or if the problem is with eir itself, you can raise bugs in eir's own
bugtracking system [2].

I think on the whole we have seen an increase in bans being followed
up, comments on bans and banlist maintenance since the introduction of
eir, and I for one think it is a good idea to continue.

Jussi

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-bots
[2] https://dev.freenode.net/redmine/projects/eir/issues