Policy on extra-namespace trolling

Lorenzo J. Lucchini ljlbox at tiscali.it
Wed Apr 27 22:44:10 UTC 2011

I believe a relatively important point is missing from our policy.

It sometimes happens that someone points out in one of our channels that "a
good flamewar is in progress in #test", or "let's all go troll #test".

Of course that can't be acceptable, and perhaps even less appropriate is
following suits to such suggestions. However, we don't have an explicit
policy about this.

Freenode itself discourages such activities, and may take actions upon
channels that are used as "troll-pits" to some extent. I believe this should
be reflected in our guidelines.

I propose the following wording:

"DO NOT HARASS OR INCITE HARASSMENT - Do not organize or encourage harassment
of other groups or people, or take part in such activities following
incitement coming from our channels, or after someone happens to point out
that a given group or person is vulnerable to harassment."

by LjL
ljl at ubuntu.com