#ubuntu-* namespace policy

Juha Siltala topyli at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 26 07:50:14 UTC 2011

Hi,

The IRC Council would like some ideas for defining what sort of
projects/groups are welcome to create channels in the #ubuntu-*
namespace. The current situation leads to lot of ad-hoc per-channel
decisions which risks us being inconsistant when we make these
decisons.

Perhaps a couple of examples would clarify the problem. I am a member
of the 'Ubuntu smokers' team in launchpad. If I were to create
#ubuntu-smokers (and possibly language-specific derivates), should it
be allowed? It probably shouldn't, but we'd like to have something
concrete to back up the denial with.

The #ubuntu-eeepc used to be a very useful channel for me, although
there is no official project or group to 'help users debug and tweak
ubuntu on their eeepc' (a lauchpad group does exist). Again, why do we
want to welcome this channel?

Any ideas would be welcome for criteria that channels should fulfill
in order to be welcome in the namespace.

Thanks,

Juha Siltala
IRCC