Perhaps it would be wise to open #Ubuntu-LTS?

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 19:19:29 UTC 2010

I'm planning to be an LTS-on-the-desktop user myself, an I don't
really see the point of splitting it up.  We have multiple non-LTS
releases supported at the same time, so we need them to do that anyway
- LTS is just longer.  If supporting every release was identical there
would be no reason to have different releases, and if we needed a
separate channel for each supported release we'd need #ubuntu-hardy,
#ubuntu-jaunty, #ubuntu-karmic, and #ubuntu-lucid.  If a helper is
unfamiliar with the release the helpee is using, you move on to a
different person.

Rather than making a separate channel so people can keep working off
unfounded assumptions, I think it would be more productive to more
proactively encourage identification of release, DE, platform, etc.
when seeking help.

 - Tony Yarusso (tonyyarusso)